Thread: Space heater cord hot

New (limited use until 15 posts) Deeker's Avatar
    Thanks

Space heater cord hot

My el cheapo space heater floor model cord is heating up tremendously it seems. If it runs more than an hour, the cord get too hot. Is this normal for space heaters? I looked up that model and couldn't find anything really definitive.

2. # Special Announcement
    Special Announcement
    Warning:
    The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. OhmCheck.com does not guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any work with electricity.

Ohmcheck.com is designed specifically for DIY electrical enthusiasts and homeowners. This is the leading site on the web for how-to electrical articles and videos, as well as the #1 growing electrical how-to forum.

If you are not already a FREE member, join now and experience the vast wealth of knowledge that is forever growing here at OhmCheck.com.

New (limited use until 15 posts)
    Thanks
    I had a space heater that did the same thing. I think it is quite common on heaters that have think power cords. Heaters probably suck up lots of amps, thus causing the cord to heat up. Hope this helps.

New (limited use until 15 posts)
    Thanks
    Therefore will heat up.
    Here are the issues with your heater:
    1) The factory 'crimp on' connector of the molded plug is the first thing to start being a problem.
    2) The cord of the heater may be only 16 guage, so already it is a problem area.

Visitors found this page by searching for:

space heater cord hot

space heater plug gets hot

electric heater cord gets hot

why does my space heater cord get hot

normal for plug to be warm on space heaterhot heater cordsWhy does plug and cord on space heater get hotwhy does the cord on my electric heater get hotcord on electric heater getting hotwhy does my electric heater plug get hotwhy does my electric heater cord get hotwhy is the cord on my space heater hotplug and cord get hot on electric heateris it ok for the plug in cord for my electric teapot to get warmelectric fireplace space heater hot cordwhy so many new space heater cords get hotis it normal for cord to get warm on electric heaterthe cord on my space heater is hotis it okay that the plug on my space heater gets warm when in useelectric heater cord gets warmis it normal for the plug on my electric heater to be warmis normal for my space heater cord to feel warmwhy does the cord get hot on electric heaterwhy does the cord on my new space heater get warmspace heater cord gets hot